Happy 2017 everyone! I hope you had a fun night celebrating, whether it was at a crazy packed downtown bar, a house party or what my hubbs and I did, dance party with our dogs 😀
(Paco has some killer moves!) We had a really fun Christmas break together, but now that the holidays are over I am ready to get back into my routine with healthy eating and consistent workouts.
I’ve been thinking of dabbling with Whole 30 because every January it’s all the rage! If you haven’t heard of it, it’s basically a tough love elimination diet. You cut out dairy, gluten, sugar and alcohol for 30 days and focus on whole foods while eliminating processed foods. I’m totally fine with no gluten and no dairy, because I pretty much do that already. It’s the no sugar (What?! No dark chocolate?!) and no alcohol (What?! No wine?!) that may be more difficult, but I’ve done things like this before and love a good challenge. Whole 30’s focus is not on losing weight but rather resetting your digestion, reducing inflammation and creating a better relationship with food. However, dropping a few extra holiday pounds is a welcomed side effect.
With this freezing cold weather we’ve been having all I want to eat is bowl after bowl of warm, soothing soup. Seriously though, who else is in a deep freeze right now? It is crazy cold here in BC. Unusually cold! I am totally a snow bunny and love winter, but I can’t stand the type of cold where your face hurts and it literally takes your breath away (and not in a good way). Luckily, it isn’t supposed to last, but until then it’s soup for days.
This recipe is Whole 30 approved, paleo and low carb-ish. The tomatoes add the most carbs so you can omit or add your favourite low-carb veggie, I think it would be awesome with chopped kale!
- 1 1/2 pound Italian sausage
- 4 cups cabbage, shredded
- 4 carrots, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Add sausage to a large frying pan over medium heat until fully cooked. Set aside to cool then cut into cubes.
- In a large soup pot, add olive oil, carrots, celery and onion.
- Cook over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes stirring frequently.
- Add minced garlic, cook for another minute.
- Add chicken stock, tomatoes, cabbage, spices and sausage.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer until cabbage is tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- Dish up and enjoy!
- 368 Calories, 13g Carbs, 3g Fibre, 10g Net Carbs, 28g Fat, 17g Protein, 7g Sugar
- Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.