Having tourtière on Christmas Eve has been a tradition in my house for as long as I can remember. I’ve lived away from home since I was 18 and missed many, many family Christmas dinners. One of the things that really makes me think of home is this delicious French Canadian meat pie.
I was lucky enough to get my Grandma’s recipe from my Mom years ago and have been making it ever since!
I shared the original recipe with you last year, but this year I wanted to do something a little different. I thought it would be fun to make mini pies! I also tried a different recipe for the pie crust. It’s more like a topless crust :O And it’s totally low-carb and gluten-free.
If I’m being real, I know I’ll be having carbs over the holidays so I wanted to cut back in places that I knew I wouldn’t miss them. I’ll still be making a traditional pie crust for my husband, but for me, these will be the perfect substitution without totally going off track of the original recipe. Let’s face it, all the flavour is in the filling!
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 medium potatoes, cooked and mashed
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1-1 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic, mined
- 2 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp ground cloves
- 3 cups almond flour
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- To make the filling, add ground beef and pork to a large pot and brown.
- Add garlic, all spice, cloves and S&P.
- Add potatoes, onion and chicken broth.
- Allow mixture to thicken.
- Once meat is fully cooked, remove for heat and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Using two baking sheets, place 6 mini pot pie pans (5" diameter) on each one.
- To make the crust, combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into the pie pans and press down firmly with fingers.
- Bake crust for 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and fill with tourtière filling.
- Bake again for another 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
- 535 Calories, 14g Carbs, 4g Fibre, 10g Net Carbs, 42g Fat, 28g Protein, 2g Sugar
- Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.