Taco lovers rejoice! These slow-cooker shredded beef tacos are an easy make ahead meal for any day of the week. Pair it with your favourite toppings and you’ve got yourself a fiesta.
Do you ever feel like you can read your spouses mind? You spend most of your time with this person so it makes total sense! When I gave the hubbs a list of upcoming recipe ideas and asked him what he would like me to make this weekend I knew his answer would be beef tacos. He’s definitely a meat eater and loves beef (the other options may have had cauliflower or spaghetti squash…so I’m not surprised!)
To be honest, besides ground beef and hamburgers, I’m not a big red meat-eater. I’ve never even made a roast beef, but I sure know how to cook a mean steak for the hubbs 😀
I’ve been wanting to try this out in the slow cooker for a while and I figured one of the only ways I would eat roast beef is shredded in a taco!
I wanted to keep it low-carb and gluten-free so I made up a batch of Paleo Flatbread which turned out amazing! I halved the recipe and made smaller 4-5 inch tortillas with them. They are soft and pliable just like regular tortillas and they hold all of the toppings – win, win!
Try this out for your next Taco Tuesday (or any day of the week!) Your family and friends will be in awe of your mad cooking skills.
- 2-3 lbs chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 cloves of garlic, mined
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- Tortillas - I used these low-carb ones
- Lime wedges
- Fresh cilantro
- Sour cream or plain yogurt
- In a small bowl combine cumin, cayenne, chili powder, paprika and S&P. Mix well.
- Rub spices on chuck roast.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to a frying pan over med-high heat.
- Sear roast on all sides for about 2 minutes a side.
- Remove from heat and place in slow cooker.
- Add 1 Tbsp olive oil, diced onions and minced garlic to the same frying pan. Cook for a few minutes.
- Add beef broth and tomato paste. Continue cooking for a few more minutes deglazing the pan and scraping any bits on the bottom.
- Pour sauce over chuck roast in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours.
- Transfer chuck roast to a bowl and shred with two forks. Add any left over sauce from the slow cooker and mix well.
- Add shredded beef to tortillas with your favourite toppings.