Turkey & Pork Sliders on Sweet Potato Toast “buns” make these mini-burgers so fun and delicious to eat. The perfect gluten-free paleo dinner!
When did it become cool to eat mini versions of things? Appetizers aside, why the heck are we eating mini-doughnuts, cake pops and sliders? Don’t even get me started on Miniature Space. Those videos are mesmerizing. But ain’t nobody got time for that!
I never fell into that trap until now, because I was basically forced to.
Let me explain.
It all started when I wanted to try sweet potato toast. Yes, this is a thing. Slice sweet potatoes and cook them in your toaster. I don’t make this stuff up folks. I thought, neat! I wonder how well it actually works. Like will I over cook it and it turn to mush in my toaster forcing me to throw the whole thing out? I was willing to take the risk.
I decided I wanted to make burgers and use sweet potato toast as the buns. Off to the grocery store I go. The only sweet potatoes there were these teencie tiny ones. What the heck! They go from ones the size of my head to these pidly things?
So I thought, hmmm, maybe I’ll make sliders instead! Because it not only takes more time but looks cute.
And here we are.
I promise you though, these are the bomb. I mixed ground pork with the turkey because it’s so lean I wanted a bit of fat in there. And yes, you can totally make these full sized but then, what is the fun in that?
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 cup spinach, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium (or 2 small) sweet potatoes
- Your favourite burger toppings
- Preheat BBQ or grill to 350F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together turkey, pork, spinach, parsley, garlic and S&P.
- Form 1 1/2-2 ounce patties.
- Grill for 4-5 minutes a side.
- Slice sweet potato about 1/4 inch thick.
- Toast on the highest setting. You may need to do this 3-5 times. It took my toaster 4 rounds, but every toaster is different so keep an eye on it.
- Cut to fit the size of your sliders.
- Add the burger patties and your favourite toppings.
- 84 Calories, 0g Carbs, 0g Fibre, 0g Net Carbs, 6g Fat, 9g Protein, 0g Sugar
- Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.