Hold onto your touques, it’s that time of year again – PUMPKIN EVERYTHING!
To be honest, I don’t mind. I love all things pumpkin. A quick search on my blog will tell you so 🙂
You know pumpkin season has arrived when Starbucks releases it’s PSL (that’s Pumpkin Spice Latte for you newbs). It’s sweet and full of pumpkin flavour but did you know that there is a whopping 50g of sugar in a grande pumpkin spice latte (made with 2% milk and whipped cream). That’s an insane amount of sugar and double the recommenced daily amount for adults.
I’m not going to sit here and tell you I’ll never have a PSL again; although, I really try hard to steer clear of those coffee syrups, but I’m only human and love all things fall. They are fine and dandy every once and a while as a treat, but if you’re trying to clean up your diet or cut back on sugar why not whip up your own pumpkin spice coffee syrup? It’s surprisingly easy and tastes even better than Starbucks – gasp!
- Yields 1 1/3 cups
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup xylitol
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree, divided
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 inch fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- Add water and xylitol to a medium saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring until the sugar has dissolved.
- Add 2 tablespoons of pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg, vanilla and pumpkin pie spice. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring to combine the flavours.
- Strain mixture through fine sieve or cheesecloth.
- Return to saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Stir in remaining pumpkin puree and coconut milk until the pumpkin is fully dissolved, about 2 minutes.
- Strain once more.
- Pour into an airtight container or mason jar and refrigerate for up to two weeks.
- Contents may settle, so shake well before each use.
- To make a pumpkin spice latte add 2-3 tablespoons of syrup to 1-2 shots of espresso and 8 oz steamed milk. You can also just stir it into coffee, cold brews or smoothies!
- 28 Calories, 9g Carbs, 9g Fibre, 0g Net Carbs, 0g Fat, 0g Protein, 0g Sugar
- Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.
Have you entered the Nuzest Giveaway yet?
Please make your blog post comment here
Terms & Conditions: By entering this giveaway, I agree to the terms and conditions found here.