Yes, you read that right. Bean fries! I should probably start off with the fact that our garden is producing an insane amount of beans. So many in fact, that I am running out of ways to cook them and almost to the point where I am tired of eating them.
But I grew up in a house where we are not to waste perfectly good food! Besides sharing with the neighbours, I had to come up with a more creative way to eat these fellas.
Coating them in a mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan seemed like the right answer. Isn’t cheese the answer to everything? Don’t like broccoli, add some melted cheese! Those potatoes looks plain. Add cheese and voila, potato skins! Cauliflower grosses you out? Oh hey, let’s make it edible by adding cheese!
OK, maybe I got a little carried away with the cheese. I should mention that even though these are breaded and coated with parmesan, they’re baked so we’re keeping it healthy, right?
- 1 lb fresh yellow or green string beans
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot starch (or cornstarch)
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp seasoning spice
- 2 eggs
- Preheat oven to 400F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Wash and trim the ends of the beans. Pat dry.
- Add beans to a large mixing bowl and toss with olive oil. Add the arrowroot starch and stir to combine.
- In another mixing bowl, add the two eggs and whisk.
- In a shallow baking dish add bread crumbs, parmesan, spices and S&P. Stir to combine.
- Using tongs, grab a handful of beans and dip in the egg mixture, allow excess to drip off, then transfer to the bread crumbs to coat. Shake off excess and lay beans flat on the baking sheet making sure they do not overlap. Continue until all are coated.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and dip in your favourite sauce.
- 173 Calories, 11g Carbs, 1g Fibre, 5g Fat, 7g Protein, 0g Sugar
- Please Note: Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.