Do you ever feel like you have too many kitchen appliances? Me neither. For some reason though I have yet to invest in an ice cream maker. Maybe it’s because I can’t seem to cough up the money for something I may not use that often. Since I got a Vitamix a few years ago I have been able to make all kinds of delicious healthy ice cream using frozen fruit. But since going keto and cutting back on my fruit consumption I’ve been looking for ways to make no-churn ice cream.
Insert coconut cream. This stuff is the bomb and is key to making no-churn ice cream. Whipping the coconut cream aerates it and allows it to remain creamy while frozen. The perfect substitute to dairy ice cream.
For extra protein I added Healthy Skoop Choco-Lot Plant-Based Protein Shake. I am always on the lookout for plant-based protein powders without all that added junk. Healthy Skoop is made with pea protein, organic ingredients and sweetened with coconut sugar and stevia – no sucralose here! It is also made without gluten, soy, whey, dairy and GMOs. Oh and did I mention it tastes delicious!
This creamy (sans cream) delight takes only minutes to prepare. The only hard part is waiting for it to freeze. It is well worth the wait – promise 🙂
- 2 14oz cans coconut cream
- 2 scoops Healthy Skoop Choco-Lot Protein Shake
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 10-15 drops liquid stevia
- *Optional garnish: shaved dark vegan chocolate
- Line a 9 x 9 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Scoop out the solid coconut cream from the cans into a mixing bowl. Do not include the liquid from the cans. (You can save this and add to your smoothies.)
- Beat with a hand blender until smooth and creamy.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix again until smooth.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Freeze for 2-3 hours for soft ice cream or 4 hours for firm ice cream.
- I prefer a soft consistency. To achieve this, keep checking the ice cream every 20 minutes or so to give it a stir. Once desired consistency is reached serve immediately.
- If left overnight, the ice cream will become solid. The best way to soften again is to leave on the counter for about 20 minutes, then add to a blender which will make it smooth again in minutes.
- I also discovered that with the xanthan gum, if refrigerated, it turns to a pudding consistency - which is also super delicious! So you can really have it both ways, ice cream or pudding.
- 204 Calories, 8g Carbs, 2g Fibre, 6g Net Carbs, 17g Fat, 5g Protein, 2g Sugar
- Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.
Disclaimer: I did receive Healthy Skoop product in exchange for this review. However, my opinions are 100% my own and I would never promote a product I don’t try myself and don’t personally love!