Sometimes you have something so decadent you wonder how you are going to survive the week without another bite! Well that’s what happened to me (and the hubbs) a few weeks ago when we paid a visit to our favourite market vendor, Kay from Kreative Cupcakes. She makes the most amazing treats; I save up all week so I can indulge.
Our latest addiction was her Gluten-Free Hello Dollie Bars, also known as “Magic Bars”. These were literally to die for! Four servings quickly turned into two and we had them polished off in no time. All I could think of was how could I enjoy these every
week day and not totally kill my diet?!
I played around with a few ideas and came up with a gluten-free and dairy-free version. While nothing can ever quite be the same, these are a pretty close second!
- 1 cup gluten-free graham crumbs*
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar**
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips - I use Enjoy Life Dark Chocolate Chips
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Line an 8 x 8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add coconut milk to a medium sauce pan. Heat until just before it boils. Be sure to keep an eye on it as it can boil over quickly!
- Whisk in coconut sugar.
- Reduce heat to a simmer for 12-15 minutes until thickened.
- Stir in pinch of salt.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- For the crust, add all of the ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well. Press firmly into the baking dish.
- TIP: The harder you press the crust into the pan, the less it will fall apart when you cut them into squares.
- Pour cooled coconut milk on top of the graham crust.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips, coconut and salt evenly over the coconut milk.
- Press down slightly with your hands or spatula so each layer is soaked up by the coconut milk.
- Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes until the edges are golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to fully cool.
- Transfer to the refrigerator overnight or freezer for at least 2 hours to firm up. It is normal for the centre to still be liquidy, don't worry, it will harden once it's been refrigerated.
- Cut into squares
- *If you can't find the crumbs, purchase the cookies and pulse in your blender until crumbly. I used Kinnikinnick Graham Style Gluten Free Crumbs .
- **To lower the sugar content, feel free to substitute with xylitol or stevia equivalent.
- 275 Calories, 20g Carbs, 3g Fibre, 17g Net Carbs, 22g Fat, 2g Protein, 9g Sugar
- Please Note: Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.
Affiliate Disclosure: I am grateful to be able to provide you with content free of charge. In order to do this, please note that when you click links and purchase items, in most (not all) cases I will receive a referral commission. Your support in purchasing through these links enables me to keep The Happy Health Freak running and allows me to keep offering FREE content to you. I will never endorse a product I don’t try myself and love. Thank you! 🙂