I suppose I can’t really call this tabbouleh since I used quinoa instead of bulgar and added a bunch of ingredients that aren’t in a traditional tabbouleh recipe. But who cares. This is my blog and I’ll post what I wanna 😉 Plus, this version is pretty tasty!
I’ve been adding a bit more carbs into my diet lately after doing Yuri Elkaim’s The All-Day Fat-Burning Diet. If you following me on Instagram, you’ll already know all about this! I think I’ll end up doing a full review on the book, but long story short, it’s a 5 day carb-cycle including a fast day – eeek! But also a feast day (with more healthy carbs) – yay!
For me, the purpose of this was to kick-start my metabolism because I felt like I have been slowly gaining a bit and plateauing. I really liked this program although it involved a lot of prep. I mean A LOT! And I even simplified it for myself. Ah well, I guess in order to see results you have to put the work in, “no pain, no gain”, “nothing worth having comes easy”, “dreams don’t work unless you do”…I mean, how many of these inspirational quotes are out there – a million. The answer is a million.
Back to the recipe…I swapped out the bulgar wheat for quinoa so I could keep it gluten-free. This also makes a fabulous Meatless Monday recipe and can be vegan if you leave out the feta.
The dressing and herbs still have that fabulous fresh tabbouleh flavour. Make a double batch and I promise this will be a hit at your next pot luck or BBQ.
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 can organic chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup mini-cucumbers, sliced
- 1/2 cup goat feta cheese (omit for vegan version)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh mint, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- S&P to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, add quinoa, chickpeas, green onions, tomatoes, and cucumbers. Stir to combine.
- In a small bowl, add parsley, mint, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and S&P. Whisk well. Pour over quinoa and veggies.
- Stir in feta cheese and walnuts.
- Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Dish up and enjoy!
- 228 Calories, 23g Carbs, 4g Fibre, 12g Fat, 7g Protein, 3g Sugar
- Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.