I have a confession: I am a fitness gadget junkie. I love them all, want them all, can’t get enough of them! I knew it was getting out of hand when I would go for a run and have to sync my heart rate monitor, Nike+ tracker, wireless headphones and running app. I mean, really? Are they all necessary?
The LEAF is something entirely different. The first thing that drew me in was the gorgeous design. This is a piece of jewelry ladies, not just any ol’ fitness tracker.
The LEAF is made by a woman for women (sorry guys, this one’s not for you, but your wife, girlfriend, sister or mom would LOVE one for their b-day or Christmas). The LEAF uses highly accurate (95% to be exact) sensors to track activity, sleep, reproductive health and has built-in breathing exercises to reduce stress.
Design & Materials
The LEAF arrives in the most beautiful packaging and comes with a leather strap bracelet and chain necklace.
It can be worn three ways: as a necklace, bracelet or clip. My personal favourite is the bracelet. It is very lightweight only 0.635 ounces (18g). It’s dimensions are: height – 1.89 inches (48 mm), width – 1.18 inches (30 mm) and depth – 0.51 inches (13 mm).
I chose the rose gold LEAF which is made from African Blackwood with rose gold steel plating. The silver LEAF is made with recyclable American White Ash wood and hypoallergenic stainless steel.
How it Works
Using wireless Bluetooth technology, the LEAF syncs with a free app available from the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. The LEAF is compatible with iPhones (4s and newer), iPad Mini and newer, iPad 3rd Gen and Android version 4.3 or later. You do not need to keep your Bluetooth on at all times. It is recommended you sync twice a day, but the LEAF can store up to 14 days of data without syncing. Simply tap the sync button on the app, double-tap your leaf and keep it close to the phone. It should only take about 15 seconds.The app is well laid out and very easy to use. You can set up your profile and have it synced in minutes. I’ve attached a few screen shots of the app below.
Main Screen/Fertility Days
Sleep – shows time spent in light sleep vs deep sleep
REVIEW: The LEAF by @GetBellaBeat. Made by a woman for women! Click To Tweet
I’ve been wearing my Bellabeat LEAF for over three weeks now and feel confident giving you my full honest review…
- Beautiful, feminine design and so comfortable you’ll want to wear it every day!
- 3 ways to wear it so you can coordinate it with any outfit.
- Tracking ability is 95% accurate. Best at tracking your steps and movements as well as your menstrual cycle.
- The built-in breathing exercises are a great stress reliever.
- No need to charge! It runs on a CR2032 coin cell battery that lasts up to 6 months and is easily changeable with the screwdriver provided.
- I love all the app features and design. It was very easy to get started and syncs in seconds.
- The app functionality is also well laid out and easy to understand.
- I like that you can set a vibration to let you know when you’ve been inactive too long. It’s great for me as I have a desk job and I like the reminder to get up and get moving! It is very motivating.
- You can also set up to three daily reminders to buzz you when you need to take wake-up, take your pill or vitamins.
- Unfortunately, after only wearing my bracelet for 2 days the clasp broke 🙁 I also did not like how the leather strap wore out when I pulled it through the hole. I did contact Bellabeat about this and they responded immediately saying they would send me a replacement one within 5-7 days.
- Not waterproof. This is not a big deal for me but it might be for some. It is splash-proof and sweat-proof but cannot be worn while swimming or in the shower.
- While it does monitor sleep, I’m not sure how effective it is. This was one of the reason I wanted a LEAF. Most nights seem fairly accurate but some nights it says I only slept 4 or 5 hours which I know wasn’t correct.
- It does not recognize specific sports such as cycling or yoga, but the app allows you to manually enter your activities.
- There is always room for improvement and I hope they add features such as a heart rate monitor, food tracker and more accurate activity tracker, it does say on their website that they are looking to add these features in the future.
My favourite thing about the LEAF is that it’s so comfortable and pretty I want to wear it every day. The diversity of being able to wear it three different ways is genius.
The alerts motivate me to get moving more, walk, run, break away from the office and enjoy the sun. I love showing it to people and receive many compliments on it.
All in all, I really love the LEAF. With its functionality, ease of use, and beautiful design, this is a great addition to any woman’s fitness regime and wardrobe 🙂
You can purchase your LEAF here. The Silver LEAF retails for $119.99 USD and the Rose Gold LEAF retails for $149.99 USD.
Have you tried the LEAF? What do you look for in a fitness tracker?