The weather out in BC has turned to almost summer with temperatures already hitting the mid 20s! I am itching to get my garden planted. This is also the time I start craving fresh berries and smoothies!
I really try to eat in season meaning more root veggies and dark leafy greens in the winter and more fruit (mostly berries) in the summer along with other fresh garden veggies like lettuce, cucumbers, beans, carrots etc. Adding veggies to your smoothie boosts your vitamins, minerals and fibre without adding extra sugar and carbs.
This smoothie has a secret veggie ingredient – purple cabbage! Now don’t get all weird on me. Do you think I’d share a recipe that tastes like boiled cabbage? No! I give you my scouts honour that you will not taste cabbage but you WILL reap all its benefits like Vitamins C, A, E & K, loads of fibre, and high in antioxidants like anthocyanins and indoles which are powerhouses for cancer prevention. This purple powerhouse smoothie is also full amazing fats and proteins to keep you full all morning.
So don’t fear the cabbage and let’s get blending…
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup full fat coconut milk (from the can)
- 1/4 avocado (about 30g)
- 1/2 cup frozen blueberries (about 50g)
- 2-3 big handfuls of spinach (about 40g)
- 1/2 cup purple cabbage (about 50g)
- 1 Tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1/2 scoop vegan vanilla protein powder
- 1/4 cup ice cubes
- Water as needed to thin out
- A few extra blueberries and hempseeds for garnish (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a tall glass, garnish and enjoy!
- 363 Calories, 29g Carbs, 10g Fibre, 19g Net Carbs, 23g Fat, 17g Protein, 11g Sugar
- Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.