Easter is this weekend so I thought I’d share a quick and easy appetizer if you are planning a Sunday get together or if you just love to chow down on deviled eggs for a snack like I do!These deviled eggs have a bit of a twist to them. I added avocado instead of mayonnaise and liquid smoke to add a nice mesquite flavour. Liquid smoke is easy to find just look for it in the BBQ sauce/ketchup aisle at your grocery store. You only need a few drops as a little goes a long way. It’s great to add to burgers too!
I also wanted to share a couple of tips to ensure you get the BEST hard-boiled eggs. I know you all know how to boil eggs, but up until recently I didn’t realize I was doing it all wrong!!
Tip #1 DO NOT add the eggs to boiling water. This will most likely result in a cracked egg and all that white stringy stuff floating in your water. Gross! Instead, add the eggs to a pot and cover with 1-2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and set your timer for 8 minutes. The timer is very important! No one likes overcooked, sulfur smelling, rubbery eggs. Blah!
Tip #2 Once the timer goes off, immediately drain the water. Transfer the eggs to an ice bath (a bowl full of ice and cold water). This stops the cooking process.
Tip #3 DO NOT try to peel them right away. You will most likely burn your fingers. Instead, let them cool in the ice bath for about 10 minutes, then easily peel away the shell.
- 6 whole organic eggs
- 1/2 ripe avocado (about 80g)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- Few drops of liquid smoke
- Optional toppings: capers, pancetta, ham, chives, green onion, parsley or cilantro
- Using the method above, boil your eggs and peel them.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the eggs in half lengthways. Wipe off the knife after each egg and continue until they are all sliced.
- Using a small spoon or (clean!) fingers, scoop out the cooked yolks and add them to a blender. Add the avocado, dijon, paprika, garlic powder, liquid smoke and S&P. Blend until creamy. Transfer to a piping bag (or ziplock bag and cut the tip) and fill the egg whites.
- Add your favourite toppings and enjoy!
- Best if eaten immediately but you can refrigerate up to 24 hours.
- 94 Calories, 1g Carbs, 0g Fibre, 6g Fat, 6g Protein, 0g Sugar
- Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.