I recently saw this great pin on Pinterest and was thinking about making this revamped bruschetta for a friend’s birthday party that we went to last week. Instead, I tried something completely different, but still using the idea of the sweet potato as the “bread”. I don’t know about you, but the combo of dates, goat cheese and pecans are a match made in heaven. I even switched out the pecans for crumbled bacon on a few for the meat-lovers. They turned out pretty tasty!
- 3 medium to small sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4" rounds
- 1 cup medjool dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 75g goat cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- Olive oil for brushing
- To make the date paste spread, you simply combine the dates with the water in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy. You don't want it too runny and you don't want it too thick. It should be spreadable. Once blended, place in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lay sweet potatoes on a baking sheet, brush with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and flip over. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven, set aside to cool.
- Once they've cooled to the touch, you can spread each slice with the date paste.
- Crumble some goat cheese on top and then sprinkle with pecans (or bacon).
- Ta-da! A super easy appy that tastes gourmet. Enjoy!
Sweet Potato Date Bites make the perfect party appetizer. Click To Tweet