Easy, Homemade Protein Bars are the perfect snack to grab and go!
As I’m sure you can tell, I’m all about making my own food rather than buying packaged products. Not only is it cheaper, but it’s better for you because you can control what goes in it and it is not full of all those preservatives or chemicals that companies need to add to prolong shelf life.
Here’s a great recipe for homemade protein bars. They are packed full of good stuff and a sprinkle of chocolate chips never hurt anyone, right!?!
- 5 x 30g scoops of protein powder (about 2 cups), vanilla or chocolate would work best
- 2 cups of oats
- 1/3 cup of almond milk - or any kind of milk
- 3 Tbsp of PB2 mixed with 2 Tbsp of water - you could use 3 Tbsp of any natural peanut butter
- 4 Tbsp of mini dark chocolate chips
- 5 Tbsp of slivered almonds - cashews would also work well!
- 3 Tbsp of natural honey - I used a sugar-free type
- Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, use your hands to really incorporate it. You may need to add a couple tablespoons of water to help bind it; you want it to hold together well.
- Line an 8 x 8 square pan with cellophane or wax paper, place another layer on top and smooth out the mixture so it is evenly distributed in the pan (the process is the same as the Larabars recipe found here).
- Put in the fridge for at least an hour. Cut into 16 bars.
- You could also make these ahead and freeze them. They are great to take on the go or while traveling!
- 128 Calories, 15g Carbs, 4g Fat, 11g Protein, 2g Sugar, 32mg Sodium
- Please Note: Nutritional info is gathered from MyFitnessPal and may vary depending on your ingredients. Therefore, it is not always 100% accurate and meant to be used as a reference only.