Have you ever had a Larabar Energy Bar before? They are pretty tasty and packed full of simple, good ingredients…but they are also expensive! You can make these easily at home with the same ingredients for dollars less.
This recipe has only 5 ingredients: cashews, dates, vanilla extract, chocolate chips and a pinch of salt.
These make a great snack and are perfect for kid’s lunches too.
- 1.5 cups raw unsalted cashews (230 grams)
- 1/2 tsp fine grain sea salt
- 1 cup tightly packed pitted dates (roughly 190 grams)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp mini dark chocolate chips (optional)
- Add cashews and salt to a high-speed blender or food processor and process until the cashew crumbs are just smaller than peas, for about 3-4 seconds.
- Add the pitted dates and process until the mixture comes together, for about 15 seconds, or longer if needed.
- The mixture should stick together easily when you squeeze it between your fingers. If it doesn’t stick or it’s still a bit crumbly, add a very small amount of water (1 tsp at a time) and process it again.
- Add the vanilla and process until combined.
- Stir in the chocolate chips by hand.
- Line an 8-inch square pan with 1 piece of parchment or wax paper so it hangs over the sides (this makes it easier to lift out).
- Scoop mixture into pan, add another sheet of parchment or wax paper on top and smooth out with hand until it’s level. Beginning at the centre, push down firmly all over the mixture. The more you pack it down the better the bars will hold together. Roll out with a pastry roller if you have one.
- Freeze for at least 15 minutes and then slice into 16 bars.
- You can use Medjool or honey dates here. Just be sure they are nice and soft.If your dates are stiff or dry, soak them in a bowl of warm water for 30-60 minutes before beginning. Drain well and pat dry before use.
- The bars are a bit fragile and can break apart, so just handle them carefully.
- For on-the-go, wrap bars in plastic wrap or tin foil and store in the fridge or freezer. Or just store them all in an air-tight container if enjoying at home.
- I wrapped two bars as a serving, but the nutritional info is for one bar.
- 105 Calories, 12g Carbs, 6g Fat, 2g Protein, 7g Sugar, 2mg Sodium
For the record, these are husband-approved!